Virginia QSO Party

QSOPARTY Score Summary Sheet
Start Date : 2011-03-19
CallSign Used : W4UVA
Operator(s) : WF7I N4MJC KI4LGE KD5SDQ
Operator Category : SCHOOL-CLUB
Band : ALL
Power : HIGH
Mode : MIXED
Gridsquare : FM08RA
Software : N1MM Logger V11.3.3

Band Mode QSOs Pts Sec
3.5 LSB 113 113 14
7 CW 105 212 10
7 LSB 508 508 109
Total Both 726 833 133

Score : 111,289!!
Bonus Station Summary
Callsign(s) : K4NVA, K4NVA/M
QSOs : 1
Points : 500
Rig : Omni VI with Ameritron ALS-600 Running 500 W
Antennas : 40 m inverted vee in woods; OCF dipole in woods
Soapbox : This is our second Virginia QSO party operated from W4UVA’s
club station in Charlottesville, VA
LOG BELOW Continue reading “Virginia QSO Party”

Previous Post

  • Attendees: Bert, Alex, Will, Mark, Ben
  • Dues collected: Alex, Will (collected previously), Pete (collected previous semester). Still owe: Matt, Kar, Mark
  • Discussed Emergency Comm. and Marge Sidebottom: Marge to give $2500 for tower; 1 drill/year to coordinate with W4UVA group; Later on more participation anticipated
  • Tower project updates: waiting for order to happen!
  • Licensing milestones: Alex upgraded to General, Mark upgraded to Extra, Will missed upgrade to Extra by one question
  • Winterfest: Mark and Bert going on Sunday the 28th, others doubtful or TBD
  • Antenna projects: TV antenna/amp to come down from silo (work on Friday); Need to do replacement for repeater antenna; Install 6m/2m/70cm whip for general use, on cable support mast at shack; OCF to be replaced with 80m dipole
  • Attendees: Dale, Alex, Will, Ben, Mark, Bert
  • Dues collected: Bert, Dale
  • Tower project discussed
  • Dale to work with Marge Sidebottom on Emergency Communications
  • Winterfest discussed
  • Ben and Dale to be added to club mailing list
  • Attendees: Mark, Bert, Will, Alex, and Matt
  • Election held for Equipment Manager: Alex Olihovik elected. Duties primarily to be rapid-response for any "crisis" problems at the ham shack. Other duties TBD/up to Alex
  • Keys: Alex needs a shack key. New potential members Dale and Ben (not in attendence) to be emailed to see if possible to gather a group together for Paul's orientation
  • Frostfest: Mark and Alex interested in going, Will might go. Suggestion to contact VTARA to see if they might be willing to carpool with them (if going through C'ville).
  • Will to order the small list of items for shack and reimbursement for cable ties (from Bert)
  • New repeater net: to be Wednesday nights at 5:15 PM

(Last meeting, Fall 2010)

  • Appropriations for Spring, 2011 submitted that evening (Mark and Bert, Student Council Hearing)
  • Friday, 12/3 after 5 PM Bert conductedrig comparisons and demos of three HF rigs
  • Will: to check on paying internet ITC fee and spending the remainder of fall appropriations monies with the business office
  • Thoughts about spring: set up a demo (time/date TBD); Winter activities fair?? (no details yet from Student Council); Email to multiple lists of students for recruitment of members (not just EE)
  • Other: Tom Sielicki returned keys and Kenwood HT due to graduation; Bert and Mark continue work on tower procurement, with many promising developments concerning funding and support from faculty.

ARRL Sweepstakes SSB

START-OF-LOG: 3.0
CONTEST: ARRL-SS-SSB
CALLSIGN: W4UVA
LOCATION: VA
OPERATORS: WF7I KJ4IEA KI4LGE
CATEGORY-OPERATOR: MULTI-OP
CATEGORY-trANSMITTER: ONE
CATEGORY-ASSISTED: ASSISTED
CATEGORY-BAND: ALL
CATEGORY-POWER: HIGH
CATEGORY-MODE: SSB
CATEGORY-STATION: SCHOOL
CLAIMED-SCORE: 46008
SOAPBOX: Our second year in recent history working the sweepstakes.
CREATED-BY: N1MM Logger V10.11.1
Note: 71 of 80 ARRL Sections worked
LOG BELOW Continue reading “ARRL Sweepstakes SSB”

  • Foxhunt a huge success. Images (3) on website.
  • Appropriations/banking: Members need to complete the wishlist for Spring 2011 (see Mark's email for link); Will finished addendum to add GPS and power supply to our fall appropriations, awaiting approval (supposedly will be approved "ASAP") before doing order (probably after the Thanksgiving holiday). Internet fee also part of addendum and awaiting approval.
  • Tower project: Bert and Tom met with facilities last week, got detailed procedure on how to proceed. Bert is finishing proposal work and will be submitting soon.
  • ARRL Sweepstakes: This weekend (Saturday at 5 PM till Sunday late). All members encouraged to participate.
  • Recruitment: Spring 2011 recruitment efforts discussed. Matt suggests physics email list. Mark mentions idea for another demonstration outside of Thornton in spring.

Next Post

  • Router/internet: Bert put together equipment list for Benneche; sign posted on door warning of improper internet use/honor code violation; RF analysis done on rig and in building
  • Appropriations/banking: Will got BofA closed and direct deposit re-routed; money that remained in BofA was reimbursement to Will for chair purchases; GPS for HT and 2nd power supply still to be purchased pending download of form from @UVa
  • Foxhunt: Saturday between 11:30 and noon at Bodo's; checked out UVa fox and antennas (a 440 beam and 2m yagi both setup, second 2m yagi needs SO-239 to female SMA adapter for HTs), Icom battery charged up overnight; Mark's roommate likely to hide fox
  • Tower project: Tom and Bert spoke with Joseph Lahendro at facilities, but nothing heard back. Tom and Bert will try again Thursday 11/11. John Knight inquired about tower with William Thurneck (an associate dean in engineering)
  • History: Bert added more history to club website, including 1970s QSL cards (two more!), ARRL November Sweepstakes and Field Day scores for 1979 and 1980 W4UVA clubs. Alumni desire to meet us for a designated Alumni weekend, dates TBD.
  • Parts: Bert to request votes for reimbursement of RF chokes (to eliminate RF pickup on ethernet cable into PC) and postage stamps.